Boston Center for Community Ownership is hiring a Co-op Organizer to provide hands-on business support to worker-owned cooperatives and other small businesses in our region. We are looking for someone with Spanish language fluency and authentic cultural competencies relevant to the communities we serve, who has practical experience working in small businesses as an entrepreneur or in a bookkeeping, financial management, or other managerial capacity. This role is intended as a full time position, but we may consider part time applicants as well. We are a Boston-based organization with headquarters in Dorchester, and are looking for candidates within commuting distance of our primary office.
BCCO is a worker self-directed non-profit co-op development center rooted in community organizing. Cooperative businesses are just like other small businesses, except they are owned by the people that use them – usually the workers, customers, or some combination of the two. Cooperatives are part of the larger movement for social entrepreneurship and Solidarity Economy.
We provide organizing support in English and Spanish for startup co-ops and co-op conversions, as well as ongoing training and technical assistance for existing cooperatives. Our co-op organizers live in the communities we serve, and have extensive practical experience in cooperative and small business management. BCCO provides hands-on assistance including bookkeeping, financial management, financial projections, loan readiness, business plans, strategic planning, governance support, and board and membership training.
- Providing technical assistance to small businesses, including support for bookkeeping, financial management, sales, marketing, legal and tax requirements
- Providing workshops, coaching, and technical assistance to co-ops related to decision making processes and the healthy functioning of boards of directors
- Working closely with lawyers and accountants to assist co-ops in creating their bylaws and profit distribution procedures
- Managing client projects, including: developing a scope of work, milestones, timeline and budget; moving the project along according to schedule; completing the project objectives and documenting processes and results
- Representing BCCO in networks, coalitions, and organizations of which we are a member
- Contributing to fundraising efforts by assisting with grant applications and small donor campaigns
- Travel to clients’ place of work, when needed. Most of our work is in or around Boston, but we occasionally work with clients, or attend conferences, in other states.
- Fluent in Spanish and English
- Experience working in small business as a bookkeeper, financial manager, or other management capacity, particularly in Black or POC-owned businesses
- Cultural competencies related to one or more of Boston’s Black and/or POC communities
- Strong verbal communication skills; ability to break down complex business and financial topics so they are easily understood
- Proficiency with spreadsheets, word processing software (MS Office, Google Drive)
- Commitment to our values of respect and empowerment for low income workers and entrepreneurs
- Eagerness to participate in training to develop additional skills in small business support and deepen your understanding of the cooperative model of doing business.
- Passion for our mission of building a cooperative economy
- Good judgment, ability to respond calmly and constructively to challenging situations
Other qualities that would strengthen your application:
- Familiarity with various Customer Relationship Management (CRM) and Point of Sale (POS) software options
- Strong writing skills and enthusiasm for writing, experience writing marketing materials and/or grant applications
- Experience with community organizing or social justice movements
- Experience and/or training as a meeting facilitator or mediator
- Coursework in accounting or business topics, economic development, or public policy
- Experience leading workshops or trainings
- Experience working in cooperatives or other democratic organizations
This is an exempt position starting at 35 hours per week (full time), or part time as requested, paid on salary at a rate equivalent to $33/hour, with paid time off for vacations, sick/personal, and holidays. To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
This job was posted 11/14/2022 and will remain open until filled.